Sunday, July 10, 2011

Eli Minaya






His work reminds me of how stiff my drawings STILL are. His in contrast, has so much energy. I had said I was going to loosen up. This is why I don't really enjoy portraits because I can't take liberties like stretching the form or not worrying about exact likenesses. Because of how I continue to work, people still expect me to be a human xerox machine. When I see stuff like this, I'm like uuuuggg!! Let me out!!! I want creative freedom! But, my portraits are the only thing I've ever earned money on. I've got to change that.

2 comments:

Eli M. said...

thanks for the kind words. keep working at it, your line work is very strong, find subtle ways to push it, and you'll find those ways to break out. look at guys like egon schiele and george pratt. those guys really helped influence the way i attack drawing. good luck with everything and keep drawing!

ivan said...

Awesome! Thank you! Didn't realize you had stopped by. Thanks for the comments. I'll consider the advice given.