Wednesday, November 12, 2008

guilty pleasure

I love art books. I'm trying to budget but, I just had to go out and grab two of Ashley Wood's art books. One is 48 more nudes and the other is Dos Tarino. The only draw back to following my favorite artists online is that many times they will post finished works on their blogs which end up in the books that I in turn kick out money for. If they were just unfinished sketches that would be different. 

I had an artist do me that way once. I commissioned him for 3 pieces of art. He told me what type of paper it was going to be on and so fort. As weeks past I saw where he had posted two of the drawings on deviantart.  I didn't think much of it until the day we met to do business and he was standing there with a cd in his hand. I'm thinking where's the paper? I asked him, do you not sell original tangible art anymore? His reply was, No. I asked, are you afraid of someone stealing your work? His reply was, Yep. I was offended since we had done business several times before and I thought we were cool. Well, no more commissions from me. Not paying for something I've already downloaded.

Anyway, how did I get off on that? This is about art books and how much I love them. I really want a Digital SLR and I have been tempted to sell my James Jean Process Recess first printing to help with that. I still keep it wrapped up.  I dunno, it took a long time to get that one. We'll have to see.

No comments: